The Redwood Library’s Search Committee has unanimously chosen Jennifer Tuleja to be its next Executive Director, to start on June 1st, 2012.
Ms. Tuleja received a BA in History and Art History from U. Mass Amherst, an MLS concentrating in Archives Management from Simmons College, and a Masters in Education from Indiana University. She has extensive teaching experience in history at the primary and secondary school and college levels, has worked as both a reference librarian and research librarian at the Massachusetts Historical Society, and has been archivist, librarian and faculty member of several private schools in New England. Jen has been the Director of Library Services and Archives at St. George’s School in Middletown since July 2007. In her St. George's position, she was a major fundraiser for the new addition and renovation of the school library. She was instrumental in the conception of the project as well as in bringing it to completion for occupancy in the fall of 2011.
Jen has been on the Library Committee of the Redwood Library for the past four years. In addition, she is chair in 2012 of the New England Association of Independent School Librarians Conference and a board member of the Rhode Island Center for the Book and on the Finance Committee of that organization. Jen has also been involved in the following: Rhode Island History Day Judge, Providence College, Spring 2011; Program Chair of the New England Archivists, 2009-2010, and member of the same Committee since Spring 2009.
Lisa Lewis, Chairman of the Search Committee, says of the decision, “Jennifer is an experienced librarian, archivist, educator and fundraiser, who is steeped in New England history and has the enthusiastic support of the Redwood staff. She knows the Redwood well and brings to it leadership endowed with intelligence, enthusiasm and vision. We are very excited to have found Jen in our own backyard and look forward to working with her in the years ahead!”
Jen will be working at Redwood part time until her commitments to St. George’s are complete in June.
The Redwood Library and Athenæum was established in 1747 by Abraham Redwood and a group of his
friends and associates. It is the oldest lending library in America, and the oldest library building in continuous use in the country. Founded in 1747 by forty-six proprietors upon the principle of "having nothing in view but the good of mankind," its mission continues over 260 years later. The Redwood remains a "membership library" (open to the public) supported by Proprietors, who own shares and pay an annual assessment, and Subscribers, who pay fees. The Original Collection of 751 titles has grown to a collection numbering more than 200,000 volumes. Today the Library is open without charge to qualified scholars and researchers and to those making use of the collections. Lectures, exhibitions, fine arts displays, and other educational activities are part of Redwood Library and Athenaeum's continuous offerings to the community.