PROVIDENCE – The Rhode Island Business Plan Competition has chosen six finalists for its 2013 competition, the organization announced.
The six finalists, who will compete for prizes valued at more than $200,000, were chosen last week from 77 emerging and would-be entrepreneurs throughout the Ocean State. The overall winner will be awarded $45,000 in cash plus more than $20,000 in professional services.
To win prizes, applicants must agree to establish or continue operations of their business in Rhode Island.
Finalists for the “Entrepreneur Track” include:
• EndoSphere Surgical Inc. – Developing a method to reposition laparoscopic surgical tools to replicate open surgery, providing surgeons with full control, making laparoscopic procedures easier, faster and safer to perform.
• Haverhill Inc. – Designing fashion-forward fine jewelry for women that is price accessible and easily wearable.
• TennisHub – Looks to connect tennis players to opportunities to play tennis and process online bookings and payments.
Finalists for the “Student Track” include:
• Azavy – An online store for 3D printed goods that crowd-sources manufacturing, enabling consumers to buy products designed and 3D-printed by users.
• Fashion-Force – An online business-to-business social community and trade show alternative to cost effectively and efficiently connect and grow a fashion-based business.
• Optitrum – A handheld, noninvasive glucose meter to manage diabetes that utilizes a small saliva sample to determine glucose concentrations in the body almost instantaneously.
Competition winners will be announced on May 14 at The Garage, a half-day event at the R.I. Convention Center. •
PBN is now accepting applications for its newest award program and event for RI & Bristol County to celebrate the Manufacturing Renaissance that is evolving regionally and across the country. The deadline for applications is March 20th.
PBN's annual Book of Lists has been an essential resource for the local business community for almost 30 years. The Book of Lists features a wealth of company rankings from a variety of fields and industries, including banking, health care, real estate, law, hospitality, education, not-for-profits, technology and many more.