Cape Wind opponents file new appeal on change of staging work location
By PBN Staff
QUINCY, Mass. – The opponents to Cape Wind, a 130-wind-turbine project slated for the Nantucket Sound, have filed a new appeal, The Patriot Ledger reported on Tuesday.
The opponents, composed of The Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound and the Aquinnah Wampanoag tribe, argue that the emission permit for the project is now inaccurate since Cape Wind Associates moved its planned staging work site from North Kingstown to New Bedford.
An appeal was filed with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency last week, The Patriot Ledger reported.
Alliance CEO Audra Parker said her group doesn’t necessarily think the new staging location would be worse for the environment but the case needs to be reconsidered to reflect the new information.
The Cape Wind project is looking to obtain financing for the project, which could exceed $2 billion, and hopes to begin construction within a year.
In a prepared statement obtained by The Patriot Ledger, Cape Wind Associates spokesman Mark Rodgers said “another frivolous appeal by an opposition group that is funded by fossil fuel interests to try to delay the new jobs, cleaner air and greater energy independence that Cape Wind will bring.”
Cape Wind, which was approved by the U.S. Department of Interior last year, faces several other appeals.