Updated October 6 at 10:06am

Enter your email to receive Providence Business News' e-newsletters
and breaking news alerts.  


EPA approves New Bedford terminal project


BOSTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved the $100 million, 28.5-acre marine terminal project in New Bedford.

The South Terminal project, which was approved Monday, is designed to put the Bay State’s historic whaling town in line for jobs associated with offshore wind projects.

“This facility makes Massachusetts the East Coast hub for offshore wind development while strengthening New Bedford’s position as a port city,” said Gov. Deval L. Patrick in prepared remarks. “The construction of the terminal helps launch a new clean energy industry in Massachusetts that will create hundreds of jobs, enhance our energy security and reduce fossil fuel emissions.”

The South Terminal project will consist of roughly seven acres of filled waters and 21 acres of upland area as well as the navigational dredging of 47 acres of the harbor.

“This project comes with infinite potential,” said Mass. Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Rick Sullivan. “Not only will it make Massachusetts a national leader in offshore wind, but it will revitalize the city of New Bedford, making it a major player in the shipping industry, bringing economic dividends to the region.”

According to an EPA release, the state requested the agency include the South Terminal project as part of the State Enhanced Remedy that was approved and integrated into the 1998 Record of Decision for the Superfund cleanup for New Bedford Harbor.

“New Bedford has quickly become the center of attention for the offshore wind industry in North America, and with good reason. If we continue our steady progress like the securing of the EPA approval today, the South Terminal Project has the best chance anywhere in the country of becoming the birthplace of this exciting new industry on U.S. shores,” New Bedford Mayor Jon Mitchell said in a statement.

The dredging associated with the project also addresses roughly 225,600 cubic yards of PCB-contaminated sediment, according to the EPA.


1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

The State of Massachusetts only set aside 35 million to build the port. The state legislature will not approve another 65 million dollars for a private company like Cape Wind to build a port for them !

This project will never happen in New Bedford.Last week the Rhode Island Governor met with Cape Wind officials to build the port at Quonsett Point , Rhode Island .

Rhode Island got a 22.5 million dollar federal Tiger Grant for the cranes .In addition the largest Marine Contractor in the world (Jay Cashman) works out of Quonset Point and next to Cashman is SENESCO barge company .

There will be NO jobs for anyone in Massachusetts !

For years we heard a Middleboro company (Mass Tank) was going to build the foundations for the wind turbines - As of today that work has gone to China

The bottom line is the taxpayers of Massachusetts can't afford to pay off bonds for a private company . The Nantucket Wind project said and did anything to get the permits to build the project ! There is nothing in the permit process that says anyone from Massachusetts has to be hired for this work !

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 | Report this
Latest News