PROVIDENCE – The
The policy recommendations include:
• Have water available throughout the event, use pitchers not individual bottles when possible.
• Serve low- or no-calorie beverages that do not contain added sugar.
• Offer only low-fat or fat-free options when serving milk – avoid whole milk and cream.
• Limit beverages with artificial, noncaloric sweeteners.
• Avoid all fried foods, including pastries, french fries, fried chicken, donuts, chips and others.
• Incorporate as many locally grown and/or certified organic-food options as possible.
• Serve whole, pre-cut, or dried fresh fruit and/or vegetables at every meal/snack.
• Use fruit and vegetable salads as snacks.
• Provide locally grown or certified organic produce when possible.
• Use 100 percent whole grains [brown rice, oatmeal and whole wheat].
• Avoid grain snacks that are fried or contain trans-fat [instead of chips serve low-fat popcorn or whole-grain pretzels]. •