PROVIDENCE – The R.I. Department of Health has updated its “healthy eating at events” policy, for all agency meetings held at its headquarters at Three Capitol Hill, effective Oct. 5.
The policy recommendations include:
• Have water available throughout the event, use pitchers not individual bottles when possible.
• Serve low- or no-calorie beverages that do not contain added sugar.
• Offer only low-fat or fat-free options when serving milk – avoid whole milk and cream.
• Limit beverages with artificial, noncaloric sweeteners.
• Avoid all fried foods, including pastries, french fries, fried chicken, donuts, chips and others.
• Incorporate as many locally grown and/or certified organic-food options as possible.
• Serve whole, pre-cut, or dried fresh fruit and/or vegetables at every meal/snack.
• Use fruit and vegetable salads as snacks.
• Provide locally grown or certified organic produce when possible.
• Use 100 percent whole grains [brown rice, oatmeal and whole wheat].
• Avoid grain snacks that are fried or contain trans-fat [instead of chips serve low-fat popcorn or whole-grain pretzels]. •