Business Excellence Awards
Applications are now being accepted for the 14th Annual Business Excellence Awar ...
QUESTION: Why did Facebook pay $1 billion for Instagram?
ANSWER: So that instead of worrying about how many people joined Instagram (and abandoned Facebook), they could brag about it.
Are you on Instagram? I am. All of my family is. Daughters, granddaughters, in-laws, outlaws. All of them. All of my close friends are too. And a few hundred other people I don’t know, who looked me up or found me through a hashtag. Are you on?
Do you post on Instagram? I do. Almost every day. Why? Because I take pictures on my iPhone that I believe are worth sharing. That’s what Instagram is all about.
With more that 130 million users Instagram is what’s new and what’s next. If you doubt it, ask yourself why Facebook bought a company – that never made a dime of profit – for a billion dollars.
I’m certain that in a Facebook research-marketing lab someplace in Silicon Valley they’re talking about Instaface or Facegram.
Instagram is an app of the future. It’s really only useable on mobile and tablet devices. But it makes sense because mobile is where you take pictures.
Take a look at mine: @jeffreygitomer
Here’s what Instagram offers to your social media mix:
• It’s instant. Shoot the photo, minor edit, short description, add the people you’re with and or the location the photo was taken, and post it.
• It takes less time than other social media. Not just for you, but for everyone else you’re connected to.
• People typically post positive things. They “like” it, and they can say a few words.
• No drama. Facebook is a soap opera. Instagram is a happy place.
• It’s a document of your daily life. In a light way.
• It’s personal. Family sees family. Friends see friends. And you are able to stay in touch with family friends in a personal way. Invite your family and friends to join you.
• It’s available to others. Your business friends and close customers can get a glimpse of your personal side without all the Facebook crap and your past life.
• You don’t have to be a writer, just a smartphone user. Very few words are needed – just photos and short videos.
• There’s a chance to be “liked.” For your photos, your travels, your creativity, your career, your achievements, your cute kids, your passions, and your family.