PROVIDENCE – The Johnson & Wales University Culinary Arts Museum will close for more than year beginning May 20 for a comprehensive inventory, the university announced Monday.
The museum will take an inventory of its collection, estimated to be more than 250,000 items, and will reopen for the 2014-2015 academic year.
“As part of this collections-focused year, a long-range strategic plan, including dynamic programming and exhibitions, will be developed to showcase the museum’s extraordinary holdings to the professional community and the general public here in Rhode Island and at the university’s regional campuses in North Miami, Fla., Denver, and Charlotte, N.C.,” said Michael Downing, JWU vice president of auxiliary services, in a statement.
The museum was founded 1989 and Downing said several substantial donations and individual gifts received since then need varying degrees of documentation and conservation.
Johnson & Wales has hired Roger Mandle, former president of the Rhode Island School of Design, to assist in the development of a strategic plan to expand the museum holdings’ reach.
Mandle also formerly was the deputy director and chief curator of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. He was RISD president from 1993-2008.
The culinary museum will remain open through May 19 with normal Tuesday through Sunday hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The university did not immediately respond to a request for comment on potential revenue loss from visitors and events while the museum is closed.
johnson & wales university,
culinary arts museum,
long-range strategic plan,
inventory of collection,