Business Excellence Awards
Please Join PBN to Celebrate the 2014 Business Excellence Award Winners on Novem ...
By PBN Staff
BOSTON – Providence Business News was awarded first place for general excellence over the weekend in the New England Newspaper & Press Association’s (NENPA) annual Better Newspaper Contest. The win follows last year’s third place finish in the category for weekly newspapers with a circulation of 6,000 to 9,999.
PBN was also awarded third place for the second consecutive year in the best front page category for larger weeklies.
The contest award winners were announced at the first NENPA Convention and Trade Show, held Feb. 5 and 6 at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel. NENPA was formed in 2009 by the merging of the New England Press Association and the New England Newspaper Association.
All told, 420 awards were given in 63 categories, chosen from about 3,000 contest entries, according to NENPA.
The judges for the general excellence category noted that PBN was “comprehensive and reader-friendly. Stories throughout are neatly categorized, with articles varied for many tastes and interests. A very well-balanced paper.”
Other winners from the region’s newspapers in various circulation categories included:
• Peter Pereira, New Bedford Standard-Times – daily photographer of the year.
• Attleboro Sun Chronicle – personality photo, social issues feature story, sports photo, spot news story.
• Block Island Times – advertising campaign, pictorial photo, self/circulation promotion.
• Fall River Herald News – living page or section, serious columnist, video.
• New Bedford Standard-Times – editorial cartoon, feature photo, general news photo, government reporting, photo illustration, photo series, sports column.
• North-East Independent – sports column.
• Norton Mirror – convergence.
• Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly – overall design.
• Warwick Beacon – sports page or section.
For more information on NENPA and the Better Newspaper Contest, go to www.nenpa.com.