“That’s all I can stands. I can’t stands no more!” When Popeye the Sailor says that, a can of spinach appears out of nowhere, he pops it open, and downs it to gain amazing strength. From there he beats up Bluto and rescues Olive Oil.
Well, I’m grabbing my can of spinach because I can’t stands no more! I just read an article referencing the “Seven Secrets to Cold Calling Success” originally written by a chef turned financial planner.
QUESTION: Cold calling is so dead, why are salespeople still doing it?
ANSWER: Their boss makes them, or they haven’t figured out a way to make meaningful connections without being annoying.
I’ll save you the trouble of trying to find the article. Here are the seven “secrets”:
1. Plan ahead.
2. Investigate before you call.
3. Seek out a personal connection.
4. Get information before you give it.
5. Get out of your chair and in front of a mirror.
6. Keep careful records.
7. Use referrals in your voicemail message.
HELP ME! Where are the secrets? Maybe it’s a “Where’s Waldo” game. Yeah, that’s the secret, er, I mean the ticket.
QUALIFICATION AND REQUEST: Please do not email me and drone on about how cold calling works. It doesn’t work 97-99 out of 100 times. It’s the most rejection-laden sales process in existence and the cause of more depression, low self-esteem, reluctance, avoidance, and disappointment than any other sales strategy I have ever seen (or used).
Excessive rejection from cold calling turns you into another Popeye character: Whimpy – foolishly begging for a hamburger and offering nothing in return.
This article will give you alternative smart ways to make POSITIVE connections. And be advised – they are non-secrets. Rather, they are obvious strategies that you can easily and enjoyably employ – BUT they require work.
If there’s a secret:
• It’s to attract new customers, not provoke them.
• It’s to build value-based relationships with existing customers, not ignore them.
• It’s to be proactive in a positive way, not call and ask, “who’s in charge of…?”
• It’s to approach the process of getting new customers in a better, smarter way, because there is no worse or dumber way than cold calling.
Here’s my “eat-your-spinach” plan for you – the 7 “one-a-day” strategies that will earn you 10 times what the cold call will produce, build your reputation and keep your customers loyal: