Most people reading this have never tweeted. (You included?) On the off chance that you have tweeted, my guess is you have less than 5,000 Twitter followers – maybe less than 500.
Whatever your situation is there’s no denying that Twitter is a major force in business social media. The next few paragraphs will challenge your thinking in regards to participation, specifically why you need to begin to take advantage of it today.
This is not simply a lesson. It’s also a perspective and a business building challenge. Or to put it into your language, more sales now!
I began tweeting several years ago, but I didn’t really understand the impact it could make or the opportunity it presented. I just took quotes from my books and began to post them.
What happened was very surprising to me. Not only did I gain more followers, but people also began to retweet my tweets to their followers. Cool.
That put my message in front of the followers of my followers. For free. Many of their followers then became my followers. For free. Is that cool, or what?
That was 50,000 followers ago. I now have a much more sophisticated strategy to distribute my message, to add to my followers and to gain new customers. For free.
Here are my Twitter actions and the thoughts behind them:
• I tweet several times a day. I’m consistent. Never miss.
• I include links to my videos or promotions on less than 30 percent of my tweets. Some days none.
• I tweet my own thoughts 95 percent of the time. The other tweets are profound quotes of others, or people I believe are worth following.
• I only tweet what I believe my followers will benefit from.
• I tweet what I believe is valuable enough to pass along.
Here are several actual examples of my tweets:
• “Fear of being wrong is more powerful than risk of being right. Leaders emerge as they become fearless. #gitomer #fear #power”
• “Social media is everywhere, you may not like it, but you can’t ignore it. #gitomer”
• “In a nuts and bolts world, there are far too many nuts, and an extreme shortage of bolts. #gitomer #greatquote”